I wanted to share my experience as a child in a military
family growing up. Would love to receive
comments from others in the military, past and present, and their experiences.
My dad and mom met while they were both stationed at
Laughlin Air Force Base in Texas. They
married and I was born within a year, and we lived there until I was 3, when my
dad was transferred to Kaufbeuren, Germany in base-housing. We lived there for 3 years, and traveled
throughout Germany and France, exploring the beautiful castles, countryside,
and salt mines. I do remember the
brightly colored teeter-totters on the playgrounds. We left Germany and lived in Indiana for 1
year, and because Indiana did not have Kindergarten, I never did have that on
my school records. We then moved to
Duluth, Minnesota until the middle of 6th grade. Both of my sisters were born there. My dad was stationed on an island in the
Pacific for a year, so my mom and the three of us girls, moved to Colorado, to
be close to my grandparents. I helped my
mom with my sisters, but was becoming a teen, and wanted to be with my friends
more and more. I remember when she had
to get my sisters out of bed and come down and get me out of a theater in front
of my friends. Was grounded for awhile
for that! After that year we moved to
Merced, California for 4 years through my sophmore year. We then moved to Cheney, Washington for a
year, and then to Denver, Colorado my senior year. I went to 3 different high
schools in three different states, but was still able to graduate with
honors. It wasn't easy always being the
"new kid", and leaving friends behind to make new ones.
My dad retired in Denver, and my mom decided it was time to
go to work. I still helped out with my
sisters, and while we were in Merced, my dad had gone to Viet Nam during the
war, and due to what they had to eudure during that time, he started drinking
heavily after he retired in order to deal with the death of many of his fellow
soldiers. My dad was "old school", and was not a man that would talk
to anyone. He did earn a purple heart, but many of us do not realize the toll
war takes on soldiers and their families.
He was no longer in actual service, but could not forget what had
happened overseas. He passed away at 64 of a heart attack.
I do not regret growing up in the military, as you are
brought up on strict standards and ethics, that help you when you go out on
your own in the world. I do wish my dad
could have been around more, but that is one sacrifice you make when they make
it a career. I feel I was better
educated, met many people who touched my life, and was able to visit many of
the locations we would read about in our history books. It is so much better to
see it than just read about it! You learn respect and honesty, and that you
work hard for a living, and have a love for your country. Yes, I did have to leave friends, but I did
develop friendships that will last for a lifetime, whether they are in my life
now or not!
GOD BLESS OUR SERVICEMEN, AND THANK YOU FOR ALL THE
SACRIFICES YOU MAKE, SO THAT WE HAVE THE FREEDOM WE ENJOY EVERYDAY!

No comments:
Post a Comment